Who can refuse a creamy, yet hearty bowl of delicious mushroom soup? It sounds particularly tempting right now, as the temps are near freezing on a daily basis here in Michigan.
Chef and recipe creator, Laura Romito of Food Geek Foods let us in on a little secret that she likes to use when it comes to making her savory soups a little thicker – she incorporates our organic whole grain oat flour.
This delectable soup is full of hearty vegetables, and for this particular recipe, Chef Laura chose to use all organic ingredients. Over the last few months we’ve made this soup on a handful of occasions and it’s become a favorite in our household. The great thing is that it freezes well, too – making it a great option for leftovers or an easy meal at a later date. Chef Laura recommends letting it cool to less than 40 degrees within two hours of serving, then store refrigerated and covered for up to 5 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
– 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (try cremini, shiitake, and white button)
– 1 cup diced onion
– ¼ cup diced celery
– ¼ cup diced carrot
– 1 ounce dried mushrooms (any variety)
– 3 tablespoons Relative Foods Organic Oat Flour
– 3 tablespoons Relative Foods Organic Millet Flour
– 4 large fresh garlic cloves, peeled
– 2 quarts stock (use LOW SODIUM vegetable or chicken)
– 16 fluid ounces purified water
– 3 tablespoons avocado, sunflower, or pure olive oil (don’t use extra virgin) OR butter
– 1 tablespoon kosher salt or High 5 Power Lifter Coarse Bold Salt Blend
– 1 teaspoon dry thyme
– Pinch nutmeg,
– Pinch cayenne
– 1 bay leaf
– Rinse dry mushrooms thoroughly then place in large pot with the water; bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover; simmer for 30 minutes
– Strain through fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or paper towel, pressing firmly on mushrooms to extract liquid; reserve liquid
– Rinse mushrooms again
– Saute all mushrooms, onion, celery, carrot, and seasonings in large soup pot with oil over high heat until golden (this will take some time since mushrooms will need to release all moisture prior to browning; plan at least 25-35 minutes)
– Add flours and stir to distribute, then allow flours to toast in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning
– Add stock and reserved mushroom water and bring to a boil, lower heat immediately to a simmer and cover
– Simmer until tender (approximately 20-30 minutes more) and puree to desired consistency
Let us know how you like this creamy mushroom soup recipe by leaving us a comment below. We love to know what you’re up to in the kitchen!